Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Running off the side of a mountain

Have you ever stood at the edge of a building or a mountain and thought to yourself “geez, I wonder what would happen if I jumped off right now?”  Most normal people would probably answer “hell, NO!” but then again, I’m not normal.  I love heights and I love speed.  The ultimate adrenaline junkie!  I’ve jumped out of a plane before and was hoping it would cure me of my need for speed and heights.  However, since that time, I’ve just wanted more!

So, when I found out that in Mendoza, there is paragliding, I jumped (pardon the pun) at the chance.  Because as if traveling thru South America as a single female alone isn’t adventurous enough, I thought, why not jump off the side of a mountain for a little more excitement.

Aside from skydiving, it was one of the more exciting things that I’ve done.  Unlike skydiving, there is no freefall but it’s one of the more amazing experiences I’ve ever had.  700m above the city, you run off the side of a mountain and float up another couple hundred metres.  From there you soar above the amazing landscape like an eagle.  It was so amazing and peaceful, I’m hooked. 

The launching point

PC010460

 

me, geared up who knew? a backpack with a built in seat!

PC010467 

 

PC010476

another pilot taking off

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The only thing saving me from crashing to the ground!

PC010493

The amazing view!

PC010494

the landing circle

PC010502

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Did you know you can do this from the top of Grouse Mtn. in Vancouver? My friend did it for her 40th birthday in July and we went to watch her land. I was thinking of you the entire time and have been meaning to tell you about it since!!! You'll be able to get your fix back home to!